Sunday, June 20, 2010

Play it again, Frenchie.

                                 


Today I took to listening to all my French music. I recently pirated some Jacques Brel, because I couldn't stand listening to Zach Condon of Beirut's drunken rendition of "Le Moribond" any longer. I had a song by Brigitte Bardot, but when I looked into what music she made, I was dissapointed to find there was nothing that wasn't complete fluff besides "Moie Je Joue", the track I already have a copy of... which is, by the way, pretty much fluff. I also attempted to find some good Serge Gainsbourg songs, however I was mostly just entertained by the Bardot/Gainsbourg "Bonnie and Clyde" track, so this was really the only one I downloaded.

I also rediscovered Edith Piaf, and downloaded her music as well. Well, one song. I didn't really look that hard at all. I'm not doing a very good job, am I? If you are by chance an Edith Piaf fan, or at least know what she is famous for, you probably guessed that the song was "La Vie En Rose." Piaf wrote the lyrics, and Lous Gugliemi (or "Louiguy") helped with the melody. I believe this song became popular in the late 1940s. [As a side note, I must confess to you now, I am actually not a particular fan of fashion from the 1940s unlike many, but the music and films of the 1940s, I completely adore.]

I have seen bits of "La Vie En Rose" the film. If I may be so bold.... such a film isn't worth watching unless you want to know the details of a person's life. The problem with that second bit of what I said is that the movie is not completely accurate, because the fact if the matter is, is that Edith Piaf's life is shrouded in mystery. There were plenty of rumors and stories left floating around long after she had gone. That first bit of what I said, I said because I personally do not find movies made to depress entertaining, however beautiful everything in it just might be, although this really is all purely opinion.

It really was a brilliant song. I have listened the Madeliene Peyroux cover a countless number of times now. I have been playing it all day. Now I'm just wondering how long my addiction is going to last with all this French music. If you don't know who any of these artists are, you really ought to look them up! Listening to the music of these chanteurs and chanteuses is taking a good bite out of French culture. That, and most of old French songs sound very pretty.

2 comments:

  1. ooh edith piaf! You really must get her songs Milord and La Vie L'Amour. For modern french music j'ador the Plasticsines and Carla Bruni and Claire Denamont.
    -indigo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, funny enough, like all three of the artists you mentioned! And thanks! I shall.

    ReplyDelete